Friday 20 March 2009

Back to school

Yesterday, Thursday, a sub-set of The Ram Company went into two primary schools in Derby, to give the pupils a taste of our music and show them the instruments we use to make our wonderful sound!

The first place was Firs Estate Primary School. Now, believe it or not, this was Keith Kendrick's first school (as a 5-year-old) and he was quite intrigued to be visiting it again after such a long time. Not only that, but it was the second school I ever taught in. Back in the mid-70s it was two separate schools -- Infants and Juniors -- with separate heads and (more importantly) distinct educational philosophies.

I'd been teaching French (or trying to) at a junior high school in Derby (720 kids all aged between 11 and 13 -- a nightmare!) and was getting absolutely fed up with getting nowhere fast. I just didn't see eye-to-eye with the headteacher (I've always been a bit headstrong, I suppose) and eventually I decided to leave that school and try my hand at teaching music. So I applied to Firs Estate, and, with only minutes to go before the deadline, I took the application form to the school by hand. When I got there, there was only the caretaker around, and as I was talking to him, I realised I'd mis-read the advertisement. I thought I was applying to the Juniors, but in fact the vacancy was for an Infants teacher!

"Ah well," thinks I ... "in for a penny, in for a pound" and I gave him the application form. A few days later, I got the job, and became (as far as I know) the first male Infants teacher in Derby. And I loved that job. It was lovely, working with 5-year-olds. Such fresh enthusiasm, such joy, and such love. Those were the days, eh?

Anyway, we did our mini-show for the Juniors (sorry, Key Stage 2) at Firs Estate, and then zoomed off to Ashgate Primary School for the second one that morning. And as it turns out, this school was Michelle Short's old primary school (again as a pupil) so it brought back some memories for her.

The headteacher wasn't expecting us, as his deputy had actually arranged the visit, but he was so pleased with what we gave him, this is what he said in an email to the lady who's co-ordinating all these school visits:
Just a quick note to say thank you for sending this marvellous group of talented musicians to our school today.
Their input was educational, entertaining, outstandingly musical and thoroughly enjoyed by all pupils and staff.
My only question is....when can they come again?

What a wonderful start to our day.

Robert Roche
Head
Ashgate Primary
Wasn't that a nice thing for him to say?! I know I speak on behalf of the whole band when I say that we'd be over the moon to go back for a further visit. The children (and the staff) were so attentive, and applauded very appreciatively after each number. And so knowledgeable, those young people. Very impressive.

We've got more visits coming up next week, and I hope we'll be able to take a bit of video. I know we have to be very careful with video-ing children, but if we get the necessary permissions, then there'll probably be some more video to watch on YouTube!

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment